Skip to main content

Obtaining a Burn Permit

Permit Process:

You must come into the fire station to sign your completed Burn Permit before burning.
If you cannot come into the fire station, a copy can be mailed to you. You must SIGN and RETURN a completed copy to the fire station before burning.


East Umatilla Fire & Rescue
103 W Main St.
​PO Box 411
Weston, OR 97886
​(541) 566-2311

Burning Regulations for Umatilla County - Outside Open Burn Control Area
The following requirements apply to any burning, when allowed:

  • You are responsible for any fire, smoke or odors created from open burning and for any damage that results from your fire.
  • A responsible person must constantly attend any open burning.
  • This person must be capable of and have the equipment to extinguish the fire.
  • This person must also completely extinguish a fire before leaving it.
  • The burning must be conducted between the hours of 7:30 AM and two hours before sunset.
  • The fire cannot create a nuisance or a hazard to public safety.
  • No burning can occur during a period when prohibited by the Department of Environmental Quality or the State Fire Marshal because of adverse fire safety, meteorological or air quality conditions.
  • If you plan to move debris from one site to another and burn it you need a DEQ permit.

Smoke from the burning of the materials listed below are especially hazardous to people's health and the environment. These materials can never be open burned:

  • Wet garbage
  • Plastic
  • Asbestos
  • Wire insulation
  • Automobile parts
  • Asphalt
  • Petroleum treated materials
  • Painted wood and wood treated with creosote or pentachlorophenol
  • Rubber products including tires
  • Animal remains
  • Animal or vegetable matter resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking or service of food
  • Any other material that emits dense smoke or noxious odors

 You need to apply for a letter permit with DEQ to burn the following types of material:

  • Industrial - Includes the burning of waste, including process waste, produced as the direct result of any manufacturing or industrial process. 

You do not need a DEQ permit but must receive permission from your local Fire Department to burn the following types of material:

  • Yard Debris - Includes wood, needle or leaf materials from trees, shrubs or plants from the real property immediately adjacent to a dwelling of not more than four family living units.

You do not need a DEQ permit, but need to contact the Department of Forestry to burn the following types of materials:

  • Slash - Includes forest debris or woody vegetation to be burned that is related to the management of forestland used for growing and harvesting timber.