Skip to main content


You MUST sign and return your permit before burning.

Permit Process:

You must come into the fire station to sign your completed Burn Permit before burning.
If you cannot come into the fire station, a copy can be mailed to you. You must SIGN and RETURN a completed copy to the fire station before burning.


East Umatilla Fire & Rescue
103 W Main St.
​PO Box 411
Weston, OR 97886
​(541) 566-2311

Burning Regulations for Umatilla County - Outside Open Burn Control Area
The following requirements apply to any burning, when allowed:

  • You are responsible for any fire, smoke or odors created from open burning and for any damage that results from your fire.
  • A responsible person must constantly attend any open burning.
  • This person must be capable of and have the equipment to extinguish the fire.
  • This person must also completely extinguish a fire before leaving it.
  • The burning must be conducted between the hours of 7:30 AM and two hours before sunset.
  • The fire cannot create a nuisance or a hazard to public safety.
  • No burning can occur during a period when prohibited by the Department of Environmental Quality or the State Fire Marshal because of adverse fire safety, meteorological or air quality conditions.
  • If you plan to move debris from one site to another and burn it you need a DEQ permit.

Smoke from the burning of the materials listed below are especially hazardous to people's health and the environment. These materials can never be open burned:

  • Wet garbage
  • Plastic
  • Asbestos
  • Wire insulation
  • Automobile parts
  • Asphalt
  • Petroleum treated materials
  • Painted wood and wood treated with creosote or pentachlorophenol
  • Rubber products including tires
  • Animal remains
  • Animal or vegetable matter resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking or service of food
  • Any other material that emits dense smoke or noxious odors

 You need to apply for a letter permit with DEQ to burn the following types of material:

  • Industrial - Includes the burning of waste, including process waste, produced as the direct result of any manufacturing or industrial process. 

You do not need a DEQ permit but must receive permission from your local Fire Department to burn the following types of material:

  • Construction Waste - Includes the burning of waste material generally used for, resulting from or produced by a building or construction project. This could include wood, lumber, paper, crating and packing materials processed for or used during cleanup of a construction site.
  • Demolition Waste - Includes the burning of waste material resulting from or produced by the complete or partial destruction or tearing down of any man-made structure, or the clearing of any site for land improvement or cleanup. Land clearing waste is typically considered demolition waste except when it is included in the definitions of agricultural waste, yard debris or slash. Examples of land clearing waste include the removal of trees, brush, logs, stumps, debris or man-made structures for the purpose of site clean up or site preparation.
  • Domestic - Includes household waste material such as paper, cardboard, clothing, yard debris (wood, needle or leaf materials from trees, shrubs or plants) or other material generated in or around a dwelling of four-or-fewer family living units, or on the property immediately adjacent to the dwelling.
  • Yard Debris - Includes wood, needle or leaf materials from trees, shrubs or plants from the real property immediately adjacent to a dwelling of not more than four family living units.

You do not need a DEQ permit, but need to contact the Department of Forestry to burn the following types of materials:

  • Slash - Includes forest debris or woody vegetation to be burned that is related to the management of forestland used for growing and harvesting timber.